See publications to download voter information provided by the BRC.
Read BRC media releases and news.
Like elections, the referendum had polling places in every Ward, a ballot paper, ballot boxes, polling officials, scrutineers and observers. Special voting ink ensured everyone voted one time only.
249 polling teams attended 829 polling locations: every ward in Bougainville, all provinces of Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands (Honiara and Gizo) and Australia (Brisbane and Cairns).
- 207,213 voters appeared on the Referendum Roll. This reflected an increase of about 20% on the 2015 ABG roll.
- The roll had approximately equal men and women and 25% were first-time voters.
- Total resident Bougainvilleans – 194,498
- Non-resident Bougainvilleans – 12,715
- 181,067 votes were cast (87.4% voter turnout)
- Independence: 176,928 votes (97.71%)
- Greater autonomy: 3,043 votes (1.6%)
- Informal: 1,096 votes (0.6%)